With rain on the forecast over the coming months Brisbane residents are being urged to remain vigilant and prepare their homes and businesses for severe weather.
Brisbane City Council will hold three free green waste drop-off weekends at its four Resource Recovery Centres to help residents who are cleaning up their homes ahead of storm season.
The free domestic green waste weekends will be held next weekend, 12 and 13 September and 19 and 20 September.
Council has trimmed more than 42,000 trees so far this year and invested $3.5 million into the Brisbane SES so they can continue to keep our community safe.
Residents are also encouraged to sign up for Council’s free Early Warning Alert service by Weatherzone so they are notified of severe weather events near them.
Between September 2019 to March 2020 this service sent more than 3.6 million messages to residents.
Residents can get storm and bushfire ready by following these tips:
- Clean-up the yard, clean gutters and downpipes of leaf litter, and check the roof and skylights are in good condition.
- Secure loose items in your backyard or balcony.
- Prepare an emergency kit with a torch, portable radio, spare batteries, first aid kit, emergency contact numbers and insurance papers.
- Sign up to Council’s Early Warning Alert Service at www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/beprepared
- Know your flood risk by checking Council’s Flood Awareness Maps and FloodWise Property Reports.
- If flooding is likely, store valuables up high.
Free green waste weekends
- All four Council Resource Recovery Centres are accepting free domestic green waste for recycling on the following dates this year:
- Saturday 5 and Sunday 6 September
- Saturday 12 and Sunday 13 September
- Saturday 19 and Sunday 20 September.
- Acceptable green waste includes branches, grass clippings, loose bark, palm fronds, pruning from shrubs and trees and weeds.
- Outside of these dates, residents can use their waste vouchers or pay the disposal fee of $12.50 per car up to 500kg.
- Council Resource Recovery Centre Locations. Open daily 6.30am-5.45pm
- 1273 Nudgee Road, Nudgee Beach
- 360 Sherbrooke Road, Willawong
- 101 Upper Kedron Road, Ferny Grove
- 728 Tilley Road, Chandler (opposite the Sleeman Sports Complex)