Bus Stop Accessibility Improvement Program
Letter to Residents
“Brisbane City Council is planning to upgrade two bus stops in Bald Hills over the coming months as part of the Bus Stop Accessibility Improvement Program (BSAIP).
The program is required for Council to meet its legal requirement under the Commonwealth Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (DDA) and the Disability Standards for Accessible Public Transport 2002 (DSAPT) to ensure the people of Brisbane can access travel options that meet their needs, regardless of age, ability or background.
WHAT CHANGES ARE OCCURING?
As part of the program, works to the bus stop may include, but are not limited, to the following:
• works to level or enlarge boarding points
• upgrading access paths and waiting areas
• installing tactile ground surface indicators
• installing signage to improve way finding
• adjusting or replacing bus stop furniture such as bins or bus stop seats
• installing, replacing or relocating the bus stop shelter
• installing road line marking and signage to formalise and the bus zone and allow safe operation for buses to pull in and out of the bus stop.
Works to upgrade the bus stop may also require the boarding area to be repositioned within a few metres of its existing position and the removal of car parks. Where a new concrete slab or shelter is required, there may be a temporary delay in the installation of the new shelter, however Council will work to minimise this delay where possible.
WHAT ARE THE CONSTRUCTION IMPACTS?
Residents in close proximity may experience:
• deliveries of machinery, equipment and materials to site
• construction vehicle movements with reversing alarms and flashing lights
• construction noise
• increased lighting from portable light towers
• traffic controllers and signage to safely direct motorists and pedestrians
• lane closures and some traffic delays.
To complete these works, some trimming of Council vegetation as well as vegetation encroaching on Council land may be required. In this case, works will be undertaken with appropriate supervision of a qualified arborist.
Council will endeavour to keep construction impacts to a minimum during the bus stop works. We apologise in advance for any disruption caused and thank you for your patience and understanding as Council works to make Brisbane a safe, accessible and inclusive city.
WHEN ARE THE WORKS HAPPENING?
These works will be undertaken in the coming months, weather and construction conditions permitting, between the hours of 7am and 5pm, Monday to Saturday.
The upgrade works for this bus stop is required to meet obligations under Commonwealth legislation, so Council is unable to consider objections. The bus stop has been designed to meet the current DDA and safety standards and has been signed off by a Registered Professional Engineer of Queensland. Council is confident that this design has positioned the new bus stop in most appropriate and safe location.
Council offers an SMS notification service to provide more specific information on the timing of bus stop works in your suburb. If you would like to register for SMS notifications, please contact the project team via one of the options listed below and provide your full name, address and mobile phone number. For details on how the Council collects and protects your personal information, please refer to: https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/about-council/privacy-and-legal.
If you have any questions about these works or would like more information, please contact the project team during business hours on 1800 669 416 or email firstname.lastname@example.org. For information outside of business hours please call Council’s 24-hour Contact Centre on 3403 8888.
We appreciate your understanding as Council works to make Brisbane a safe, accessible and inclusive City.”
These bus stops are located at;
- Gympie Rd near Bald Hills Rd, Bald Hills (Stop #10391)
- Gympie Rd near Dickson St, Bald Hills (Stop #311333)