Council’s next Homeless Connect is taking place on Thursday, 20 May 2021 at the Brisbane Showgrounds.
Homeless Connect is an event for people who are experiencing homelessness or those at risk of homelessness where guests can enjoy a meal, be sociable, participate in activities and access much needed services including:
- volunteer medical and allied health care professionals such as doctors, dentists, optometrists, podiatrists and massage therapists
- housing support and community support
- haircuts by volunteer barbers and hairdressers
- immunisation delivered by Council’s immunisation team
- personal grooming items such as face washers, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shampoo and deodorant
- clothing and shoes for adults, children and babies
- non-perishable food items
- lunch and entertainment.
Council held Australia’s first Homeless Connect even in November 2006 and has since provided assistance to more that 17,920. This year’s donation drive will run from 5 April to 14 where residents can donate non-perishable food items and/or toiletries to my ward office.
Council can unfortunately not accept clothing donations for the Homeless Connect event – any residents wishing to donate clothes, please encourage them to do so by donating at their local charity shop.